Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increase your FPS(Long post but worth it if you are getting <30 FPS)

Increase your FPS(Long post but worth it if you are getting <30 FPS)

Summary:
    This is a simple way to potentially increase your FPS. I have only used this for DayZ Epoch and Epoch Panthera. I would assume it would work for the other mods, the only difference would be how much memory each of the mods takes up.
    NOTE: I am not taking an responsibility for any damage you do to your system. I am only saying this just in case you are a dumbass and fuck up my idiots guide. But feel free to ask questions if things are confusing because I doubt the first time around of me making this, it will be flawless. However, I suggest you read everything first once through before you go ahead and start doing this.

By using the free to download program, RAMDisk, you take your computer's RAM and reallocate it as space to save things to. Essentially, you are creating a flash drive from your RAM. The benefit of this is that it can be accessed super quickly.

Now you are probably thinking, "Damn DJGingivitis, what are you on about saying memory is going to help me get more FPS?" Well here's the scoop. When you run ARMA2, you get decent frames. When you run any of the mods, the game turns into a flipbook with you running the game at 10 FPS. The reason for that is due to your hard drive being unable to load everything quick enough from the mod files. So the solution is get a better hard drive. Assuming you have a 5400 rpm HD, a 7200 rpm HD speeds things up, but doesn't make it truly significant. A Solid State Drive(SSD) make a pretty big difference but are quite pricey currently.
    NOTE: I am unsure if my method will help those with SSD as I don't have one and haven't talked to anyone who has one and tried my method.
    Using your RAM as storage memory is a huge benefit as the write speeds for it are incredible fast. Some say even faster than SSD but I am not confirming this here.
    tl;drRAM has huge write speed. DayZ needs huge write speed for higher FPS.

Requirements:
    At least 4 GB of RAM. Any lower and you risk overloading your RAM. ARMA2 needs about 2 GB of RAM to run. You should only use about 1 GB max so leaving an extra GB to spare is a good safeguard.
    DayZ Commander is recommended as I will be using it for the tutorial. I will offer troubleshooting for DayZ Commander only.
    Also I will be using Steam for the location of my files. If you have any working knowledge of a computer, you should be able to find yours.

Procedure(I am going to do this for Epoch Panthera. Repeat for Epoch without any of the Panthera files):
    1. Install ARMA2OA and DayZ Commander. If you haven't already, download Epoch from DayZ Commander and Epoch Panthera from this and place the files accordingly. DayZ commander should do it automatically. Panthera you will have to do by hand.

2. Download RAMDisk. Go to this link http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk and download the RAMDisk Lite. Install it.

3. Open RAMDisk. It should look similar to this.

4. Your files should look like this in your Steam folder where ARMA2 is installed.
    http://imgur.com/rHS1q8T
    Keep these files here as a back up in case RAMDisk doesn't save. You will need to know the combined size of the @DayZ_Epoch and the @panthera folders. Currently they are 816 MB. As updates come out, this number will change as new files are added. Make sure you redo this every update or shit will not work.

5. Back in RAMDisk, we need to allocate memory greater than the 816 MB for the two folders. Just to be safe choose 850 MB. Also select FAT16 Partition. Your RAMDisk should look similar to this.
    http://imgur.com/lflEWaK

6. Hit Start RAMDisk. If it prompts you anything about installing a hard drive or anything, press ok/yes/etc.

7. Go to the Load/Save Tab in RAMDisk. It should look similar to this.
    http://imgur.com/xFRccAc
    Click the "Load Disk Image at Startup" and "Save Disk Image at Shutdown" boxes. Click OK on anything that pops up. Now save your Image file in a spot that works for you. I chose the default as it was easiest. After this is done, hit Save Disk Image Now.

8. Once it saves, you can close the RAMDisk screen. Hit Yes to saving the current settings. Hit OK that it will save it next time.

9. You should now notice a new "hard drive" that your computer recognizes. Mine is labeled as Local Disk (F: ). Find yours.

10. Copy and paste the @DayZ_Epoch and the @panthera folders into this newly created "Hard Drive".

11. Open DayZ Commander and go to the Settings.

12. In the bottom, you will notice it references 3 directories. You need to change where it references the DayZ Directory. To do this, hit the override box.NOTE: I only play Epoch so if you play multiple mods, you will probably have to change this according to which mod you play.

13. In my case, the directory I reference is F:\@DayZ_Epoch. So put this in as the directory.

14. You should be good to go. Select Epoch Server #1/#2/#3 and see if it logs in and gives you better frames.

If you are in need or more RAM for other games/programs, once you are done, start up RAMDisk and hit Stop RAMDisk. It should reallocate your RAM to be used as RAM. If you do this you need to his start RAMDisk again before you play DayZ.

Other settings I have changed that might help:
    In DayZ Commander I have the "Force Direct3D 9" Box checked.

I also have some other parameters I launch with. They are: "-nopause -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7". This is for a quad core processors. For Dual Core do this instead "-nopause -cpucount=2 -exThreads=3"

These are my in game settings:
    http://imgur.com/VQzqNsV

And these are my graphics card settings:
    http://imgur.com/Z8lik5p

My Rig:
    CPU-Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2GHz-3.2Ghz
    GPU-GeForce GT 750M
    RAM= 8GB DDR3 L
    HD-Currently Have ARMA2 Installed on my 1 TB 5400rpm HD but plan on moving it to my 320 GB 7200rpm HD.
    Last edited by DJGingivitis; 12-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Excellent post!

I fixed the thread so the images show up. I added .png to each of the links for you.

MadHatter05
    pu2X2RN.pnggbWsXlj.pngexxYmAt.pngiTjAAmf.pngcCUxOQY.png
    Gamer, Streamer, IT Professional.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
    Excellent post!

I fixed the thread so the images show up. I added .png to each of the links for you.
    Ahhh I was wondering what was up with that. Thanks Mad.

About the ramdisk what if I just want to play regular epoch without panthera is there a special file I'll have to load into it or should I just load in the @dayzEpoch?

Awesome guide btw

Thought I made a note about this but just the @DayZEpoch file that you download from DayZ Commander. The @Panthera folder wont be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGingivitis View Post
    Thought I made a note about this but just the @DayZEpoch file that you download from DayZ Commander. The @Panthera folder wont be necessary.
    Alright cheers might've just read over it then

No problem. Let me know if you run into any more problems. Also if you could post your new FPS/increase in FPS that'd be appreciated so that others see its just not for me that it helps other people too. I feel a lot of people see this stupidly long post and move on.

I didn't notice any difference in fps or loading times (I have a stable 60fps which sometimes crawls up to 75) but I was just trying the ramdisk for faster loading times I haven't noticed that though might've been because i already have decent fps.

Unless you have SSD or enough ram to store entire ArmA II folder, you won't be getting any FPS changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Busido95 View Post
    Unless you have SSD or enough ram to store entire ArmA II folder, you won't be getting any FPS changes.
    Actually you do. The only thing you need in the ramdisk is the mod folder. Arma does not specifically use video power to run missions but instead rely heavily on hard drive reading to run missions. With ramdisk it cuts out the physical head speed on hds and in turn increases the overall game fps. Arma is quite different than any other game out there.

MadHatter05
    pu2X2RN.pnggbWsXlj.pngexxYmAt.pngiTjAAmf.pngcCUxOQY.png
    Gamer, Streamer, IT Professional.